Is it just me, or is it hot in here? Politicians come to Vic, contribute to climate change

POLITICIANS FROM four different political parties debated the problems of climate change last week, at a forum organised by the campus environmental group Gecko, as part of the inaugural ‘Environment week’.

Nick Smith of National, Gordon Copeland of United Future, Doug Wollerton of New Zealand First and Jeanette Fitzsimons of the Green Party were questioned by four postgraduate environmental science students on their policies on climate change.

VUWSA’s Environmental Officer Tushara Kodikara says the forum was “a lot of fun”, but adds it was disappointing that a representative from the Labour Party was unable to join the debate.

Gecko member Aaron Packard says the debate was an “example of middle class white men in action”, in that three of the parties represented were against taking measures to reduce carbon emissions if it would detrimentally affect the economy.

However, Packard was pleased with the other activities of the week, which included a stall day, a second hand clothing exchange and a forum on rubbish with Green MP Nandor Tanczos.

Salient was assured that posters advertising Environment week would most likely be recycled.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. Tushara Kodiara says:

Dear Salient,

Shame on you for making up quotes in last week’s issue. You claimed that I said that the climate change forum that took place on the 17th was ‘a lot of fun’. I have no idea where you got this quote from, maybe you weren’t listening to me when you asked for a quote, or maybe your delusions of grandeur have manifested into delusions of fantasy. Wait a minute, I know you weren’t listening to me Kean, as you were talking to someone else as I was giving you a quote.

The fact is I don’t even use the phrase ‘a lot of fun’, let alone call that piss arse of a ‘debate’ a lot of fun. The truth is the entire forum was disappointing, and just showed that politicians are clueless. Three of the politicians claimed that they wanted to do something in preparation for climate change, as long as it does not affect the economy. This shows that they don’t even comprehend the threat human induced climate change will have on the planet. If they don’t act now, the economy will be severely affected by climate change, no matter what. New Zealand has a great opportunity to make a difference, and become a world leader. Unfortunately, the country is run by a bunch of idiots, who couldn’t find their way out of a paper bag, much less prepare the country for the worst environmental crisis the world has ever seen.

Cheers,

Tushara Kodikara

2. Made-Up says:

Ha!