Vic to front at fee setting forum. Angry shouting likely.

A FORUM giving students the opportunity to voice their opinions on the upcoming fee setting is to be held on Tuesday.

The date for a University Council meeting that will decide on any fee rises has been set for 4 September, the first week after the mid-trimester break. Although no concrete proposals for fee increases are said to have been floated as yet, an increase in 2007 appears to be likely.

The idea for such a forum was raised after the University faced criticism for the method in which fee setting was conducted last year. The meeting itself was held during the exam period, and there was little opportunity for student input.

Chancellor Tim Beaglehole, Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh and James Ogden of the University Council’s Finance Committee will be present at the forum, and will speak about the issues the University Council must take into consideration during the fee setting process.

Beaglehole says that the forum, organised by VUWSA, will also be a chance for University representatives to hear what students have to say on the matter. He says fee setting is always a “terribly difficult decision” for the Council, and believes that such a forum will give students a chance to contribute to the discussion.

However, he adds that if the meeting descends into shouting, “it won’t be because of a lack of will on our part.”

VUWSA President Nick Kelly, who plans to be arguing the merits of a zero percent fee rise at the forum, says it will be good to have the opportunity to discuss the issues in the open.

The forum will take place in Cotton 122 at midday on Tuesday.

Nicola Kean: feature writer, philanthropist, womanly woman. Nicola is the smallest member of the Salient team, but eats really large pieces of lasagne. Favourites include 80s music, the scent of fresh pine needles and long walks on the beach.

1. jess says:

i have used my future-goggles to predict the conversation at the forum…
    chancellor: raise fees!
    students: no!
    chancellor(s): we are facing increasing operational costs, in part to rising petrol prices and the cpi, and are therefore raising fees to keep in line with these increases
    students: we have no money! fees suck! down with fees! fee cease or faeces!
    nick kelly: i know! let’s use time sheets.