March 5, 2007 | by  | in Film | [ssba]

Music And Lyrics

Ahh…the ‘80s. Taking into account that I was only born at the very end of them, they still hold a bit of a soft spot for me. If this film does nothing else it delivers some good humour at the expense of that illustrious decade.

Opening with Hugh Grant’s character Alex Fletcher and the music video of his ‘80s pop band (literally called Pop!), the credit sequence of this film is hilarious. You don’t even notice the credits as they go by. Alas, this is sadly the most unpredictable part of the entire film, yet it all seems worth it just to see old Hugh in that shirt.

The plot line, as you can probably guess, goes like all romantic comedies. Boy (Grant), a surprisingly successful has-been ‘80s pop star, meets innocent, eccentric girl (Drew Barrymore) who comes to water his plants. They kiss, they fight, and they make up. Opening on Valentines Day and having Grant do yet another romantic comedy may get people into the theatres – but without that this film would crash and burn.

Although clichéd, Music and Lyrics has some good points. The actors may be heavily relied upon to make this movie noticeable but they do a good job, or as well as can be expected in such tight pants. The dialogue has been filled with enough of Grant’s usual quips and comments to ensure that you don’t get too bored, and the music may be cheesy but it’s woven well into the film. Given that this is a production line film it could have been a lot worse. For one thing, Hayley Bennet (who plays Cora Corman) could have been a main actress rather than a supporting one. At the end of this movie I was left asking why anyone would want to see this movie when it’s a basically rerun of Grant’s other films.

MARC LAWRENCE