VUWSA and NT sign MoU

More responsibility and strength for Ngai Tauira

VUWSA and Ngai Tauira (NT) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) last year to improve the relationship between the two parties.

The relationship between the two representative bodies reached a low point in 2005 when initial MoU negotiations broke down.

NT Tumaki (President) Maryjane Waru says honesty and goodwill are the most important aspects of the MoU, and that a healthy relationship between NT and VUWSA will strengthen her organisation and ensure academic support for Maori students is developed and appropriately delivered.

The MoU is also intended to pave the way for joint welfare campaigns and a focus on cultural projects to ensure a flourishing cultural and social environment and to celebrate the academic aspects of cultural exchange.

The financial aspect of the MoU strives to recognise the autonomous status of the two associations, with each solely responsible for their own financial management and administration.

However, by way of recognising the obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi, NT will receive 10 percent of VUWSA’s annual membership income.

NT also aims to become an incorporated society by July this year.

VUWSA President Geoff Haywood wants to focus on publicity for NT and making VUWSA “an inclusive organisation” in 2007.

Together with NT, VUWSA will work on a number of Maori issues and pave the way for greater Maori students’ participation in the university.

1. Jono Newton says:

Oh good god?!!
    What percentage of students at vic are Maori again? thats right about 8% so 10% of funds for 8% of people…thats not fair at all.

As for the incorporated society they were supposed to have completed that before July 2005…And have said it every year. Of course I will just get abused for not understanding and not being allowed to have my say on Maori issues. But I expect it so whatever.

2. Franky Boy says:

Yep – there is something wrong with those figures. According to the 2001 census Maaori make up 7.9% of our total population. I would argue that the amount of funding Ngai Tauira receives might be calculated in relation to the percentage we account for in New Zealand’s population.

8% would be on the generous side in as much as many Maaori students at Vic never use Ngai Tauira services at all, myself included. Perhaps NT’s proportion of funding should be calculated on the percentage of how many student’s it actually represents at Vic. e.g. If it represents 4% of students, it would be allocated 4% of the funding. Considering NT students are also eligible to receive VUWSA services, this would seem more than fair. Otherwise NT members will be able to participate in significant double dipping, and who would blame them.

Ma te wa