September 3, 2007 | by  | in News | [ssba]

New TEC chair appointed

David Shand has been appointed as chair of the Tertiary Education Commission, replacing Hon Russell Marshall who retired in June.

Shand took up the position last week and his term is for three years.

Shand has previously worked as a public financial management specialist at the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund in Washington and with the OCED for four years on public sector reforms.

He also taught accounting and public finance at Vic in the 1960s and 1970s, as well as teaching in Australia and the United States. He is on the board of Meridian Energy and chairs the Commission of Inquiry into Rating.

Tertiary Education Minister Michael Cullen says Shand is “a highly capable individual” whose background “equips him well for this job.”

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.