July 7, 2008 | by  | in Film | [ssba]

Wellington Film Festival

The Film Festival has rolled around again, so get prepared to sink yourself to into even more debt and soak up the epic radness that is the seventeen day film EXTRAVAGANZA.

The bulk of the film fest is looking strong, great films can be found throughout the Worlds of Difference section. Persepolis played at the program dinner and made an immediate affect on me.

The return of the Incredibly Strange Film Festival has me and all gore fans jumping for joy, with teeth being my pick for film to take your parents to this festival.

The retrospective is disappointing, Edward Yang is too modern, too dull and not one of the best directors of his nation/ generation. Animation is also pretty bare this year, Evangelion 1.0 being the only major feature within it.

The Portrait of the Artist section is looking bank account draining. Jesus Christ Saviour, about performer Klaus Kinski looks mind blowing.

Framing Reality’s documentaries are varied and strong. From steroid use (Bigger, Stronger, Faster*) to Abu Ghraib (Standard Operating Procedure) to an abstact look at the directors home town (My Winnipeg).

We will be reviewing Festival films throughout the next couple of weeks, starting this week with Clash of the Titans. There’s something for all this season. Watch this spot.