News in Footy

NZUSA elections open, not nearly as interesting as NZ or USA elections

Nominations have opened for three positions on the frontlines of the New Zealand Union of Students Association for 2010.

The positions of NZUSA Co-President and National Women’s Rights Officer are up for grabs in a special election.

Nominees must submit their application and a comprehensive CV to NZUSA offices by August 15 at 4pm.

Elections will be held at the NZUSA conference on 29 August at Lincoln University.

Postgrad Maginot Line busted

The government has decided to remove a policy that allows French and German postgraduate students studying in New Zealand to pay as much as their kiwi counterparts.

The decision will mean French and German postgrads will pay about five times more than they currently are. A masters degree at the Univeristy of Canterbury will rise from $5164 to $25,200 per year.

New Zealand students have been able to study in France and Germany on a reciprocal arrangement, but language difficulties have meant not many have taken the opportunity.

Victoria University law faculty deputy head Gordon Stewart said the faculty had seen a large number of masters students from Germany, but that he expected the numbers to drop off in the future.

Government announces huge changes to—woah, s**t, a f**king dolphin!

A dolphin knocking about in Wellington harbour has been identified as a rare Hector’s Dolphin.

Sporting the distinctive rounded dorsal fin which is a characteristic of Hector’s dolphins, the dolphin was nicknamed ‘Harbour Hector’ by locals, who have been reporting sightings of him to the Department of Conservation since January.

DOC marine mammal expert Nadine Bott said biopsy samples have confirmed the dolphin is the member of a rare South Island subspecies.

“This little guy has been elusive but we were able to take a biopsy sample, which has confirmed that he is from the South Island population of Hector’s, of which there are only around 7000 in existence,” Bott said.

Kia ora, biography box, kia ora.