March 1, 2010 | by  | in Opinion | [ssba]

Here’s something to mull over

So, Kevin Smith thinks that fat people should get an extra seat on the airplane for free. The Hollywood director blogged angrily after he was asked to leave a packed flight because he couldn’t fit into one seat.

It sucks to be thrown off the plane, but don’t airline policies of making people too large for one seat pay for two seem perfectly reasonable? If one pie isn’t enough to fill your tummy, you have to pay for the second one, right? You don’t get it for free, and you certainly can’t steal half of some other poor sod’s pie.

It’s not just a matter of paying for a second seat to stow your butt fat—if you haven’t booked two seats, you’re gonna spill over into the next person’s seat. That they paid for. Smith doesn’t seem to care about the person who was going to have to sit next to him! If anyone could fit next to him. The airline not only put Smith on a later flight, they also gave him a $100 voucher! And he’s still angry!

My luggage and I collectively weigh less than Smith; shouldn’t I be the one to get money for using less than one seat, rather than the person who uses more?