Kerry keeps caring

News
No quitty quitty

Mayor Kerry Prendergast announced last week that she will run for a fourth term as Wellington mayor.

Prendergast intends to stand again as an independent, despite earlier ruling out another term due to family commitments.

“I have decided to seek a fourth term of mayor to ensure there is ongoing confidence in Wellington’s direction, leadership and management of the council.”

Despite facing a number of issues including a bid to retain the NZI Sevens tournament and rising unemployment in the capital, Prendergast says her campaign will focus on more of what Wellington has already seen.

“My campaign will be about how Wellington is doing really well at the moment and is a fantastic city. Why change?”

Mayoral candidate and Wellington businessman Jack Yan is not surprised by Prendergast’s bid for re-election but does not believe it is what Wellington needs.

“Ms Prendergast is a great operational player, and anyone who serves nine years in the mayoralty deserves respect. But she is not visionary.”

Yan raises concerns over Prendergast’s support base, and subsequently, the direction of her policies.

“Ms Prendergast knows full well it’s the 65-pluses who put her in power, and while she claims to be independent, we know she leans to the right, so there’ll be support from the right wing.

“Unsurprisingly, her policies are geared to securing those groups’ support. In a liberal city, I’m not sure that they’re what we want anymore.”

Mayoral candidate and current Wellington city councilor Celia Wade-Brown also questions the viability of a future term for the incumbent mayor.

“She [Prendergast] has promoted the interests of Wellington as she sees them and worked hard, but her attempts at climate change action are insufficiently visionary for the urgency of the issue.”

Wade-Brown will launch her election campaign after Easter. Other candidates are expected to include city councilor Bryan Pepperell and Miramar vet, Allan Probert.