April 19, 2010 | by  | in News | [ssba]

No more nukes

But no one knows how

World leaders have endorsed President Barack Obama’s call to stop terrorists keeping getting their hands on nuclear materials.

Obama declared the world would be more secure as a result, despite the 47-nation summit not developing any specific ways to stop terrorists blowing shit up.

As a staunch anti-nuclear country with no nuclear weapons, New Zealand seemed a little out of place with the rest of the summit. However, Obama reportedly told John Key that New Zealand had “well and truly” earned a place at the table of the nuclear security summit.

The summit countries agreed to cooperate more with the United Nations and the International Atomic Energy Agency. The representatives also agreed to share information on nuclear detection and ways to prevent nuclear trafficking.

A terrorist group in possession of plutonium no bigger than an apple could detonate a device capable of inflicting hundreds of thousands of casualties, Obama said.

“Terrorist networks such as al-Qaeda have tried to acquire the material for a nuclear weapon, and if they ever succeeded, they would surely use it.

“Were they to do so, it would be a catastrophe for the world, causing extraordinary loss of life and striking a major blow to global peace and stability.”

While the summit focused on the threat from terrorists, attention was given to Iran, North Korea and other nations who are seeking or have succeeded in obtaining or developing nuclear weapons.

Iran, which was not invited to the conference, denies it intends to build an atomic bomb, and despite widespread concern about its intentions, Obama is having difficulty getting agreement on a new set of UN sanctions against the country.

News Editor and Chief Editor-Annoyance. Thinks you should volunteer to write news. Is easily distracted by shiny things.