July 19, 2010 | by  | in Film | [ssba]

Get Him to the Greek

Film

In Get Him to the Greek, Russell Brand reprises his hilarious role as rock star Aldous Snow from the excellent Forgetting Sarah Marshall. The once sober Snow has a relapse after his activist anthem ‘African Child’ turns out to be a critical and commercial flop and is branded “the worst thing to happen to Africa since Apartheid”. Record company worker Aaron (Jonah Hill) is sent by his boss Sergio (Sean ‘Puff Daddy’ Combs) to escort the self-destructing Snow from his native London to the Greek theatre in Los Angeles for a comeback gig. As is often the case, things aren’t as simple as they seem.

For the most part, the film is a very funny one. Brand alone is sufficient to provide the laughs. His pretentious rocker has many of the film’s best lines as he keeps a mostly cool demeanour in the face of a series of escalating incidents fuelled by levels of drugs and alcohol impressive even by Timaru standards. But the true star of the film is Combs; he steals every scene he is in, demonstrating a talent for comedy I had no idea he possessed.

It is, however, a very flawed film. The scenes that focus on Hill’s protagonist and his bumpy relationship lag, especially when Brand and Combs are absent. We have no reason to care as these seem redundant in plot terms and Hill is simply not funny enough to make them work. Judd Apatow films are usually notable for the beating heart that lies beneath their comedy, but in this case the heart is absent, scenes that try to add dramatic value seem awkward and the film is never more than a series of very funny set pieces. Finally, I have always been slightly uncomfortable about the way that Apatow lets his male characters away with more than his female ones. I am not saying this film is misogynist, but it does fall into these traps. Don’t feel too bad if you wait to watch it on DVD.

Get Him to the Greek
Director: Nicholas Stoller