July 12, 2010 | by  | in Opinion | [ssba]

In the Week that Wasn’t: Student tells flatmate to get forked, gets knifed

The Week That Wasn't

Police were called to a student flat late last week following a dispute between two residents over the placement of cutlery in the kitchen.

The argument, which is believed to have begun a few hours earlier, ended around 10pm when one resident stabbed her flatmate with a butter knife.

Police were called to the site shortly afterwards.

The victim received medical attention at Wellington Hospital and is now recovering at her parents’ home, outside the Wellington Region.

The assailant moved out of the flat shortly after the incident, and police have yet to decide whether to press charges.

It is understood that tensions over the layout of the cutlery drawer had begun much earlier in the year.

Another student, a close friend of both parties, approached Salient to explain the cause of the incident.

“They were always at each other about whether it should go forks-knives-spoons or spoons-forks-knives.”

But before this recent confrontation the two students appeared to have overcome their differences, having spent hours hugging and crying together in The Big Kumara during a recent half-price Wednesday.

“We all thought they’d sorted it all out, but then one of them put the potato peeler in with the teaspoons and that was it.”

The flat is owned and managed by a tenancy agency who is currently deciding how they will respond to this event.

“As of yet we are still not entirely clear on the details, so we are undertaking a full investigation before deciding on what action will be taken.

“We do, however, urge students who may find themselves in a similar situation to seek help through their university’s Counselling Service before the situation becomes uncontrollable.”

The tenancy agency will introduce a uniform cutlery-drawer layout system across its flats later this month.