July 12, 2010 | by  | in Opinion | [ssba]

Environment Officer—Warm your flat, cool our planet

Executive column

Kia ora my fellow students and welcome back for round two, 2010. I am still your ever intrepid Environmental Officer, and lucky for you a couple of projects I’ve been working on are coming to fruition for your cold winter souls.

Warm My Flat Phase II

With another cold, windy, wet Wellington winter upon us I hope you all have appreciated the monthly column in Salient, and the tips on vuwsa.org.nz/warm-your-flat. They have all been aimed at keeping you warm in shitting housing, and I’m happy to announce Phase II coming to a campus near you.

Aside from the tips, if you have a particularly shit flat (ie a normal flat) then you can invite myself and a VUWSA volunteer for a visit. We’ve been specially trained by the clever folks at the Home Energy Advice Centre (energyadvice.org.nz) to work through your dampness, drafts and heating problems. So pop into the VUWSA office, or go to vuwsa.org.nz/warm-your-flat and we’ll come out for a flat warming consultation.

Environment Week 2010

Next week is Environment Week at Vic! Salient will be full of environmental stuff, and there will be many great events around campus for you to sink your green teeth into. Below are highlights of the week – keep your eyes peeled around campus, in Salient and online for the final programme.

Meat Free Monday—Vegan kai for lunch in the quad

Tuesday
• Learn guerilla knitting (or crochet!) brought to you by Nanatech, 1pm Meeting Room 1
• Are we f*cked? A celebrity debate from Greens@Vic, 5:30pm Meeting Room 3

Wednesday
• Stalls in the quad from 11am
• Pot a herb. Bring an empty container, get a herb for real cheap. 4pm, Grow From Here, 50 Webb Street
• Blah blah blah open mic night at Ramsay House. 8pm.

Thursday
• Environment-themed SRC meeting (where you can voice your opinion to VUWSA). 1pm, Meeting Room 1
• A movie brought to you by 350 at some point in the afternoon

Friday—Nothing planned yet. I suggest you plant a tree and pat yourself on the back.

Have a good Re-O week, and see you round next week!

Chur,
Zack