August 16, 2010 | by  | in News | [ssba]

Deals for Dinner

Are you a stingy student who still wants to enjoy the good life with a group of mates?

If so, you might just be interested in an initiative set up by Victoria University commerce graduate Daniel Taiaroa and postgraduate student Andrew Henry. Their new business, dealeater.co.nz , could see you and your mates receive up to 50 per cent discount from local businesses in Wellington.

While similar in concept to already established websites such as VoucherMate and Dailydo, dealeater.co.nz ’s point of difference is that it provides discounts on group bookings to protect the interests of businesses involved and encourages groups to dine together, says Taiaroa.

“It offers an incentive to share with family and friends.”

The pair are keen to promote the website among students, for whom discounted local goods and services could prove “very beneficial”. Henry has drawn on his own student experience for the website.

“Studying for several years has given me a masters in the economics of being broke.”

Developed as an innovative and cheap way for businesses to market themselves, by signing up to the website members stand to gain discounts at movie theatres, health and beauty stores, a range of eateries and on other activities around Wellington. Some businesses that dealeater.co.nz already has offers with include Paramount Theatre, coffee shops Memphis belle and Beach Babylon and the restaurant The Flying Burrito Brothers.

The website was launched last Friday and its creators are welcoming any suggestions from students on the places that they want discounts from.

Visit dealeater.co.nz for more information.