August 9, 2010 | by  | in Opinion | [ssba]

Education Vice-President Bridie Hood

Kia Ora all,

Class Representatives

Class Representatives. Why do we have them I hear you ask? Because they provide an important democratic role at this university. They ensure that you are getting a fair deal, help find areas for improvement within the university and they provide valuable feedback to fellow students, faculties, VUWSA and the University in general. It is an effective way that students can contribute to the direction of Victoria University!

We have just finished our first week of training, but if you are a class rep and still haven’t been trained, there are still sessions available!

Basic Training Sessions (for students who have NOT been class representatives before):

Tuesday 10th August, 3.15pm
Meeting Room 2, Student Union Building, Kelburn

Wednesday 11th August, 10am
Meeting Room 3, Student Union Building, Kelburn

Supplementary Training (for previous class reps):
Thursday 12th August, 3pm
RWW501, Pipetia

Either send your RSVPs to evp@vuwsa.org.nz or if you are unable to, just turn up on the day.

This trimester we have included supplementary trainings, for students who have been class reps before, to work on their communication and decision making skills. These are being facilitated by Glenda Weston, who has worked closely with students before, leading workshops and seminars for Student Learning Support Service and the VUW Counselling Service.

Gettin’ involved

I think Sarah’s editorial last week made a lot of us start thing about the ‘campus life’ at Vic University. So much so I know James is writing his column about this. Over the rest of the trimester there are a lot of things to get involved with on campus, so make the most of them! University isn’t just about studying! Two of the biggies include;

• Fee setting: Oh fun! Remember last year, there were eggs thrown at the VC and everything! Not that I condone that sort of behavior, but it was rather exciting!
  • VUWSA General Elections: Go on! Do it! Be crazy! Enter the world of student politics. Or at least vote right? This is YOUR association, YOU choose what should happen.

If all else fails email me, that’s a way to get involved! What are we doing well? What are we doing badly? What changes do you want to see? What new services should we be providing?

<3 Bridie
evp@vuwsa.org.nz