July 30, 2012 | by  | in Arts Visual Arts | [ssba]

A Few Beautiful Blogs

Over the Net

overthenet.blogspot.com

Jim and Mary Barr, art commentators and significant collectors of New Zealand art, update Over the Net daily with snapshots and snippets. Their international travels and comprehensive background make for a lively and informed contribution to the art world conversation.

Best of Three

best-of-3.blogspot.co.nz

Courtney Johnston describes herself as having one foot in the art world, her interest in visual art kept separate from her day job. She posts reviews, links and lately, poetry. You can also hear Courtney on Tuesdays on National Radio’s Nine to Noon.

Enjoy Public Art Gallery Blog

blog.enjoy.org.nz

Enjoy’s blog is updated with news about the Cuba Street gallery’s happenings as well as art writing and photos. Keep an eye out for a new series of light-hearted posts coming soon.

But Does it Float

butdoesitfloat.com/index/

Neatly self described as an “ongoing visual

conversation between Folkert Gorter, Atley G. Kasky, and Will Schofield taking place inside a browser window,” this blog contains a wealth of material drawn from a very wide range of disciplines. The beauty of this blog is the level of discernment used by all three curators. Extremely informative and eye opening all at the same time, this blog is essential viewing if you wish to gain an insight into new art being produced around the globe. Although based in the US, this blog covers artists from all over the creative globe.

Erased Tapes

erasedtapes.com/special

While primarily a music label, Erased Tapes’ videos walk an amazing line between referencing the music and creating their own worlds in reference to it. In this video celebrating the labels five year anniversary one of the collaborators explains that no matter what each individual’s background is, “it’s all instruments”. This sums up the ethos of the project but also provides an interesting allegory for the roles of art and music working together. By creating such an aesthetic world to accompany this beautiful music the artists and musicians are all working together, no matter what the disciple it’s all just instruments.