Pirates in Peril

YET HOLLYWOOD STILL NOT SAFE FROM INTERNET MARAUDERS

Internet piracy in New Zealand has halved since the three strikes law came into effect last year. But the movie and music industry are still calling New Zealanders big download cheats.

41 per cent of New Zealand internet users accessed copyright infringing services in February, compared to a global average of 28 per cent.

ITS, the department responsible for administering internet at Victoria University, has not seen any change in the frequency of students using its network to pirate content . One student Salient spoke to said that while he had received two infringement notices, the law has not curbed his internet piracy.

Telecom, TelstraClear and Vodafone each had one customer on their final ‘third strike’ notice. After three strikes, copyright holders have the right to take a customer before the Copyright Tribunal. However, they only have 35 days to do so before the strike count restarts. So far, no one has been brought in front of the tribunal.

The Recording Industry Association of New Zealand (RIANZ) wants the fees it has to pay Internet Providers for sending infringement notices to be cut from $25 to $2 or less.
Telecom bit back, stating fees need to rise to $104 in order for them to effectively comply with the law.