March 18, 2013 | by  | in Opinion | [ssba]

Editorial – Birthday Issue

Birthday editorial

 EDITORIAL 

This week Salient celebrates its 76th birthday as Victoria University’s student magazine. As per tradition, the birthday issue must always feature a cat on the cover. Like most traditions, such as receiving a key on your 21st birthday, or making a wish as you blow out your candles, we have no idea how or why this started.

Birthdays are an interesting time for all of us. When you’re younger it’s a pretty simple affair: presents, cake, and pin the tail on the donkey. Someone inevitably cries, but at the end of the day everyone leaves with a goody-bag in hand.

As we get older, we assume that with new age will come new responsibility. Some of these milestones are more distinct: at 16 we were allowed to get freaky, and at 18 we were allowed to get smashed. Others, like when we’re finally meant to feel like an ‘adult’, are less clear. 21 is sometimes said to be the point at which we reach ‘maturity’; last year we both wore pretty dresses and got inappropriately intoxicated in front of our families. But while we’re sure that we’re one year older, we certainly don’t seem any wiser.

Most students already bear the burdens we would traditionally associate with being ‘old’ and ‘responsible’: we have jobs, we pay rent, we are in debt, we do our own washing, and we are capable of feeding and bathing (we hope) ourselves.

But does anyone actually feel more mature? We certainly don’t. On Wednesday Stella underlined “TIT” in ‘Constitution’, and Molly laughed so much she was asked to leave the VUWSA meeting we were reporting on.

Maybe we’ll never feel like we’re all grown up; maybe we’ll forever feel like we still haven’t got it right. But maybe that doesn’t matter so much after all. If we keep blowing out those candles and hoping that we at least enjoy ourselves while we’re trying to work it all out, maybe, in the end, that’s the best we can wish for.

Molly & Stella