March 4, 2013 | by  | in Opinion | [ssba]

A Way to His/Her/Their Heart is Through the Stomach

(/Food to Cry Yourself to Sleep With)

My one means of seduction is that I can cook.

I’ve impressed many a man (well, at least two) with my mad cooking skills. Let’s face it, I live up a huge hill and the only way I can entice people over is by offering them good food and cheap booze. My favourite thing to do is make something deceptively easy, but with a fancy sounding European name that I pronounce in a French accent (cheers FREN115).

Fresh pasta is simple to make and this basic pasta dough recipe is versatile: you can turn it into a plethora of pasta shapes, including lasagne, fettuccine, or the impressive-sounding agnolotti (filled semi-circles).

Cannelloni Recipe

(serves 4)

Mix 2 cups of sieved flour with 1 teaspoon of salt. Add one lightly beaten egg and 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add small amounts of water at a time until the dough forms a ball: roughly 1–1 1/2 cups. Leave to sit for 15-20 minutes: it will become supple and elastic.

While the pasta rests, prepare the filling. I use whatever I have; but spinach, onions, garlic, pumpkin, mushrooms or similar are classics. I used roasted eggplant, chopped small; onions fried with mushrooms, chopped garlic cloves, dried oregano and basil, leek and silver beet. You need to have about 3–4 cups of filling. Add some wine and cook off the alcohol; this is one of the two acceptable uses

of goon: cooking and making sangria. Take off the heat, add salt, pepper, a lightly beaten egg and cheese. Use any variety you desire: gruyère, cottage cheese, feta, or classic grated Edam.

Roll the pasta into square sheets as thin as possible. Boil these sheets, one by one, in a big pot. Then place a few spoonfuls of the mixture in the middle of the sheet, then roll the sheet up tube-like, and place in an oven dish. Rinse and repeat. Add a tomato sauce (boiled chopped tomatoes, onions, wine, garlic, salt and pepper) on top, and grated cheese. Bake in the oven at 180°C for 35-40 minutes.

Eva Kennedy