July 20, 2014 | by  | in Features Online Only | [ssba]

State Of Origin

Salient got Maori Party co-leader Te Ururoa Flavell and Maori Party candidate Chris McKenzie to face off. The question: which is the better State of Origin team? You decide.

Te Ururoa Flavell – Supporting the Maroons.

The great thing about State of Origin is the sheer passion that the players, spectators and commentators all have. It’s brutal – who could forget Wally Lewis in the face of Mark Geyer? Classic. And the teams are so competitive that the result may come down to one or two key moments.

It’s not that I hate NSW. It’s more that I admire the combined talent of Queensland year in, year out. They are always a team, even when they occasionally lose. NSW rely on individuals like Jarred Hayne to pull the cat out of the bag. Queensland know how to win, even at the death. Cronk, Thurston, Slater, Inglis, Smith, Boyd – those are names of serious talent and that’s just this generation. Think about Meninga, Renouf, Webke, Tallis, Langer, Walters, Lewis – true league superstars.

So this year, a minor blip. The Maroons will be back. In fact, I’m picking a crashing defeat of NSW in the final match, just to remind Blues supporters to enjoy their win now but the Maroons will be back next year. Maroons all the way.

Chris McKenzie – Supporting the Blues.

NSW have won the State of Origin this year and they and their supporters have known that after a string of successive losses over the years that it is not time to gloat or go on the social media offensive rubbing the Queenslanders faces in it (even though it would be awesome).

My secret is that for many years I supported the maroons but last year swapped to the blues. Some of my good friends called me a traitor but my excuse is simple. I believe in the underdog, the little man, the battler. Te Ururoa will have you believe that NSW rely on individuals and that is why he struggles to identify superstars amongst our teams. I say it is because NSW is such a wonderful team that it does not have to rely on the odd superstar to carry them.

I am always fascinated that this great Australian sport spectacle has captured the hearts and minds of so many of us here in NZ and I put it down to the passion that eminates from the players who lift many levels for each game and also with the close nature of the combat.

This year the blues and reds are slugging it out in the political environment with the general election. Me and my boss Te Ururoa at least agree on one thing. Despite our differences in the sports arena we are both committed to the realisation of potential that resides in ourselves and hope to show the same passion in parliament as those on the field do daily