September 25, 2017 | by  | in Podcasts | [ssba]

My Favourite Murder Live Show @ the Bruce Mason Centre

One of the most popular podcasts on the planet, My Favourite Murder, came to Auckland on September 6 for a one-night only live show, and two of my gal pals and I took a mid-week trip to attend.

My Favourite Murder is hosted by comedian Karen Kilgariff and TV star Georgia Hardstark, and it is a fabulous hybrid of comedy and true crime. Each week, both hosts tell each other their “favourite” murder cases from all over the world, but also often share listener stories of hometown murders, paranormal experiences, and first responders.

The three of us were in a great mood after eating a shit-ton of delicious pasta and drinking a few glasses of Pinot Gris, and joined a crowd of around 300 dedicated “murderinos” from all over the country in the Takapuna venue.

At the live shows, Karen and Georgia share their favourite murders from the place they are in, and everyone was buzzing with excitement trying to guess what the cases were going to be.

Georgia’s favourite murder was one of New Zealand’s classic “whodunits”, the Mark Lundy case, and found it hilarious that the “Lundy 500” race had been created (and then cancelled) because of the case. Karen’s favourite murder was an unexpected surprise, telling the story of Nancy Wake, a bad-bitch spy during WWII whose only murder was one Nazi, which got a massive cheer from the crowd. Seriously, look her up; she is so badass!

After the hosts had shared, two audience members were selected from the crowd to tell their hometown murders — one was a local Wellington story about a murder at Red Rocks beach, and the other was from New York City.

The best two moments of the night were when the show’s producer and fan-favourite, Steven, appeared on stage and talked about his time studying at VUW on a university exchange, and when a journalist who attended the Lundy trial was pulled out of the audience and recounted her experience covering the case.

The show was hilarious from start to finish, and it was absolutely worth the trip. Although it is probably going to be a rare occurrence that a big podcast show like My Favourite Murder will come back to New Zealand for a live show, the big crowd made up of people from all over the country suggests that the love of podcasts is huge, and that podcasts are definitely part of the future of comedy.

Stay Sexy and Don’t Get Murdered everyone!