March 12, 2018 | by  | in *News* News | [ssba]

Anytime Library: Does Anyone Know Anything?

Victoria University, in collaboration with the Wellington City Council, have installed the first book lending vending machine in New Zealand at Victoria University (Kelburn campus).

Little birds tell Salient that the new Anytime Library apparently has over 300 titles at the Victoria Kelburn community’s instant disposal, not that anyone can tell us anything for a fact.

In a statement from a Victoria University Library staff member, “The new machine? Oh, you mean the one that all of us know nothing about?”.

On the phone to the Wellington City Library staff, this reporter was put on hold and handed over to “someone who knows more” three times before ultimately getting the person who was “in charge of the project,” – Kathleen’s answering machine. Kathleen has not since called back.

The questions that were asked of the library staff and Kathleen’s answering machine were: What was the lead-up to the installation? Why was it installed? Have you received any feedback on it? Why won’t anyone speak to me? Does the library lending vending machine even exist? Do I even exist?

“Put in place just for convenience’s sake,” was the sum total of information provided by the Wellington City Library staff. The question “How is a library lending vending machine that I don’t know how to use and that sits right outside the actual literal library convenient?” is a question for Kathleen’s answering machine another day.

This reporter’s hot take on the subject: does the Anytime Library book lending machine actually exist? No.