March 19, 2018 | by  | in Opinion Presidential Address | [ssba]

Presidential Address

Kia ora! Week three and we be living it up. As I’m writing this I have the flu really bad, but the tyrannical Salient editor Louise Lin is forcing me to get something in before last minute. Where has the kindness in this world gone? Anyway here’s a message straight from me, for your eyes only!

This week’s topic is kind of about activism. VUWSA prides itself on being a very political association. This doesn’t mean we have a bias either way, it just means that when there’s an issue affecting students that’s worth yelling about, we try our utmost to do something about it (within the boundaries of our resources). We have money set aside for this kind of activist role, and some of our exec members have hours dedicated for it. In reality though, the most important source of strength for making political change of any kind is through our community. That means dedicated people volunteering their time to solve a problem. The best part about VUWSA is that you don’t have to be part of the executive to get involved and do this. All you need is a good heart, a good cause, and to get in touch, and then beautiful things can happen. In fact, as I am writing this we are preparing to march. Students who care have come together and have organized to try and make change. We partnered with VUWLSS, our law students society, and VUWFLS, our feminist law society, to organize and take action. Tomorrow is Thursday the 15th and we’ll be taking to the streets to stand up against sexual assault and harassment in the workplace, and the culture which so permits it.

So yes! I’m proud to be a part of a political association. Now I’m going to skull some Codral and mung out so I’m ready for tomorrow.