March 26, 2018 | by  | in *News* News | [ssba]

Professor Does Bare Minimum, Gets Award

History professor Douglas Miller has just received one of the highest honours Victoria University has to offer, the inaugural Evans Award in Technological Accomplishment.

The award is given each month to the lecturer over age 40 who most frequently fills all the criteria: a) to deliver a lecture with both projector screens working; b) to present the PowerPoint full screen; c) to not ask for help or express confusion at any time; and d) to not have anything else randomly go wrong (e.g. turning on the camera and projecting a picture of your hand). If more than one lecturer meets these criteria, which is unlikely, then additional points are awarded for accomplishments like successfully embedding a video in a PowerPoint.Screenshot 2018-03-25 14.16.44

Image: Gold star! You tried.

Kara Soly, VUW’s communications manager, said, “We want to recognise the bare minimum of technological proficiency in our staff, on the off chance that they can do even that, and Miller’s ability with projectors is absolutely deserving”.

“I’m so proud that those lessons my granddaughter gave me paid off,” said Miller, 58. He added that “I often come in to uni in the weekends to practice with the technology”.

*Disclaimer: This is shit news*