April 16, 2018 | by  | in *News* | [ssba]

National Urges Govt to be More Ambitious with Child Poverty Legislation

The National Party has urged the current Government to put forward more innovative policy with regards to child poverty in New Zealand. In a press release, a spokesperson for the National Party stated “no copying,” referring to the fact that leaving child poverty mostly untouched had been National policy for their nine years in power.

On 21 March 2018, National lodged three Supplementary Order Papers (SOPs), designed to “target” child poverty. In its current form the Bill simply codifies the “actions” National was “already taking” to reduce child poverty.

The press release declaimed “If the current Government wants to introduce their own legislation paying lip service to reducing child poverty while continuing to maintain current wealth inequality, they are just going come up with their own ideas”.

Currently 290,000 (or 27%) of children in New Zealand live in poverty, with a further 80,000 living in severe poverty. These statistics have mostly remained stable during the nine year tenure of the previous National Government, from 2008 to 2017.

“Statistics like this really highlight consistency as one of the key values of the National party,” said new National Party leader Simon Bridges.

“We want to ensure data and evidence is a cornerstone of solving the problem of solving child poverty. Labour has a habit of throwing money at a problem. National prides itself on being the party of fiscal responsibility and its just not fiscally responsible to spend money on children struggling in poverty when they aren’t even old enough to vote National.”

Young Nats approved the Nat’s new policy announcement, however said to Salient “Huh, what’s poverty?”

*Disclaimer: This is shit news.*