April 16, 2018 | by  | in Opinion PGSA | [ssba]

Postgrad Informer

It is April! After an unusually long Wellington summer, it is finally starting to get chilly and the days are getting shorter. Soon, much of the postgraduate populace will be arriving at uni in the dark and leaving in the dark as well. The winter months can cause us to hunker down and lose some balance in our lives. In my experience, it is important to find stuff you like to do outside of your research to create a balance in your life. In particular, I would encourage all postgraduates to look for opportunities to meet their colleagues, and contribute your time to causes outside of your research. I know that many postgrads feel guilty doing any activity that isn’t directly related to their research, but your own wellbeing and fortitude are important to the quality of that research. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer in a multitude of fields across our city (just ask Volunteer Wellington), and there are also lots of events around the university designed to help you make friends with your colleagues and network within the University.

A quick and easy option to get started on both your philanthropic and social journeys is to attend the annual PGSA Charity Quiz Night! With opportunities to meet new friends AND give to a good cause, this event could start you on a great path. This year, we will be contributing to the relief effort in the Kingdom of Tonga in the wake of the devastation brought by Cyclone Gita. Come along to The Hunter Lounge at 5pm on Tuesday 8 May and get involved! It will be $5 per person for teams of up to six. If you don’t have a team, feel free to come along and we will find you one! There will be lots of prizes, lots of laughs, and it is a great opportunity to get out of the office and do something a bit different. Looking forward to seeing you there!