May 14, 2018 | by  | in *News* | [ssba]

Bloody Hipster Hell, It’s a Juice Bar Controversy

The owners of the popular juice bar Blood and Oranges, well known at night markets across Wellington, have been arrested over suspected possession of suspicious substances.

The juice bar was known for its range of fresh juices that all use blood orange as a base, making delightfully Instagrammable drinks. However, it seems that the owners took the “blood” part too literally.

In a press release, Wellington Police spokesperson Sara Bavan described it as an “unusual case”.

“Prior to this, Blood and Oranges had an ‘A’ hygiene rating. That isn’t usually our jurisdiction, but after testing some of the juices in our lab, we found that they contained small amounts of blood,” she said.
After persistent following up by Salient, she was still reluctant to admit what kind of blood was found in “Blood and Oranges” juice, but did hint that there might be some significance to the fact that Blood and Oranges only served at night.

Tina Bilcoul, a frequent patron of the juice bar, said “I’m going to miss Blood and Oranges so much. I hope they sort this out soon and can come back. The tangy drinks with just a hint of umami were the highlight of my week”. After Salient asked about the blood allegations, she said “I guess that’s not good”.

While the use of blood in fruit juice is certainly controversial, the forensic lab investigation found the Blood and Oranges advertising claim that it contains 63% of recommended daily vitamins and minerals was accurate.
Sylvan Grave, the owner of Blood and Oranges, was unavailable for comment.

*Disclaimer: This is shit news*