July 16, 2018 | by  | in News Splash | [ssba]

Student Loan Cap Extended

Students with long undergraduate courses have welcomed the increase in student loan allocations from 7 EFTS to 10 EFTS, announced by the Labour government last week. The change comes as students pursue longer degrees, which have up until recently not been covered by government loaned money.
Among those affected by this change are students of long-term degrees such as medical, dentistry, and veterinary students. This loan cap extension also helps students completing their postgraduate study.
“It’s relieving to know that the years of campaigning have proved fruitful, and that my postgrad peers will now be able to complete their degree without the added burden of financial difficulties,” said Matias Alvarez, an Auckland University student of the Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBChB).“Medical school is demanding enough without the uncertainty of how you will pay for your final years, so it’s in our best interest to allow students to focus on their workload.”

Jibi Kunnethedam, president of the New Zealand Medical Students’ Association, said that the news came as a “huge relief” for medical students.
Chayce Glass, of Tumuaki o Te Oranga (President of Māori Medical Students’ Association), says lifting the EFTS cap would benefit Māori, Pacific, and rural students. ““The previous cap was making it extremely difficult for post-graduate tauira Māori to complete their medical degrees”.
“This doesn’t just benefit students, but also benefits the health and wellbeing of New Zealand. Allowing our future doctors, vets, and dentists to finish their studies is a no-brainer,” said the National President of NZUSA, Jonathan Gee.
Education Minister, Chris Hipkins, says that “it is anticipated that around 100 people in 2019 will potentially benefit from this policy change, rising to around 130 people in 2022.”

Some people thought the change was long overdue.
“About bloody time lol” said Selena Sun, a medical student at Auckland University.