October 1, 2018 | by  | in News | [ssba]

All Good Things Take Time (and Begging)

Last Wednesday VUWSA beseeched students to talk cold, hard cash at its AGM in the Hub. Before the meeting, Salient asked VUWSA what would happen if they didn’t meet quorum.
There was a very long pause.
Marlon, sporting a plaid button-up over yellow stripes, spent the first half of the meeting begging passing-by students to join so the meeting could reach its 100-student quorum.
12:01: “Student issues…it’s very important.”
12:02: “Please come and sit down. I am begging you.”
12:02: *whispering* “$26,000 deficit.”
12:03: “If you’re interested, please.”
12:04: “63 people…”
12:05: “Message your friends and tell them to come along!”
12:08: “We have free pizza.”
12:09: Connor started approaching random people working on their laptops/having coffee/making coffees in the Hub.

It took a total of fifteen minutes to meet the mark, reportedly seven more minutes than it took in the 2016 AGM.
“I hereby declare VUWSA AGM open. Yea boi,” Marlon announced as he continued to locate the agenda.
The meeting started off with Marlon going over this years “big wins”. Think fairer fares, the return of the 18 (to come), The Wait is Over campaign, the #metoo blog, and Sex in the Hub.
The vote to adopt the half-year reports was postponed for next year’s IGM, as they weren’t available for students to read.

Other hot takes included the 4.5% SSL increase, and the $26,000 deficit of the 2019 budget.
The highlight of the meeting was, without a doubt, the MTV Cribs parody featuring Finn Carroll with a guest appearance by a very sad couch potato Marlon Drake.