Australians Dominate Australs

Vic Team Comes Fifth, Stays Clothed.

VICTORIA’S DEBATERS are in a state of profound grief after the coveted top spot in the Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championships (“Australs”) was taken out by a team from across the ditch.

78 teams from around the Asia-Pacific region battled head-to-head throughout the competition, but the final was a Melbourne affair, with Monash University 1 winning the competition and Melbourne University 1 placing second.

Victoria 1, comprising of Joe Connell, Sayeqa Islam and Stephen Whittington, came fifth overall, winning 6 of their 7 debates before eventually being knocked out in the quarter-final. Islam also ranked fourth overall in the speaker-points stakes, with Connell placing sixth.

Whittington says Vic 1’s success was very much a team effort. “We just tried to get down what we knew about the topics, facts and things like that, and then work from there to create a a cohesive argumental line to take in the debate.” He adds that the team’s placing was “the best Victoria’s done in about 8 years.”

Despite the competition being held on home turf, Vic 1 was the only New Zealand team to make the top ten, and seemingly one of the few who remained fully-clothed during public events. Contrary to the misconception that debating is for nerds, competition convener Chris Bishop says that the after-hours hotel-room parties and nuderuns by Otago competitors are “totally characteristic of debaters”.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Nick says:

Hooray for Monash!