September 18, 2006 | by  | in Visual Arts | [ssba]

Objet (Le Déjeuner en fourrure) Meret Oppenheim 1936

Oh Surrealism, how we love you and your crazy ways. Say ‘Surrealism’ to most people and they will probably immediately think of Salvador Dali. He is probably its most famous son, melting clocks in the desert and that sort of thing. But little known to most is that the Surrealists also loved sculpture, and discovering how their ideas played out in 3D.

A primary activity that intrigued the Surrealists was matching up two (or more) apparently unrelated objects and seeing what transpired. In this case the artist, Meret Oppenheim, has created an unlikely relationship between a cup and some luxurious looking fur. This creation had its genesis in a conversation Oppenheim was having with Picasso when they were drinking tea one day. Picasso admired a furbracelet that Oppenheim was wearing and casually suggested that almost everything could be covered with fur.

Out of this comment sprung Objet (Le Déjeuner en fourrure), which translated becomes Luncheon in fur. Like much Surrealist art, this creation is not only visually appealing, but it also playfully invites touch. The Surrealist also often had sex on the brain, and this work is no exception with its sensual fur and concave curves.

1. Justin Tate says:

This article is poorly written and misinformed.