Late Books Terrorise Accounting Students

Every trimester, a swag of textbooks refuses to turn up on time for the start of lectures.

According to Vic Books’ textbook manager, Elinor Thomas, this year has seen a smaller number of late and unavailable books than usual, thanks to advanced planning. However, a large number of legislation and accounting books have failed to show up, mainly because the books’ producers are not really concerned about printing new runs in time for the needs of a little university down in New Zealand.

The major problem that has caused accounting and law students floundering without the guidance of their books is the sheer isolation of New Zealand. Since most textbooks are printed overseas and the nearest stockpiles are in Australia, Thomas has to order most first-trimester textbooks between August and November, well before enrollment numbers and course details are finalised. This means that a surge in late enrollments can leave books tragically under-stocked. Furthermore, no matter how early the university places its orders, delays will happen. However, Thomas reassures us that all currently unavailable textbooks should be here some time in March. So for those of you shedding tears at the thought of missing your accounting homework: never fear, the solution is near.

Tristan Egarr edited in 2008. He threw a chair once.