August 13, 2007 | by  | in Music | [ssba]

An Album you should own if you don’t already…..According to Pukarazzi

A 4-CD box set, Joy Division’s Heart and Soul is a must have for anyone with a disposition towards the morose. It includes nearly every song the band recorded 1977-80; before the band’s sudden demise after lead singer Ian Curtis hung himself at age 23.

Joy Division formed in 1976 and crafted the sound of the post-punk era. With a steady and haunting sound and a voice to match that of the late Curtis, Joy Division created a soundscape that is sure to send tingles down your spine. The music is elegantly depressing yet, at the same time, somewhat refreshing due to the poetic nature of the lyrics. It’s sure to keep you entertained for years to come and is definitely a sound that will survive the test of time.

As I sit here and listen to ‘Transmission’ for the about the one hundredth time, I think back to the times of boofy hair, polka dots, corduroy and synth music. I remember the first time I heard this track from my ratty ‘80s ghetto blaster – I must have been about six, and I was dance dance dancing to the radio, just like the song was telling me to.

CONTROL – Biopic film about the life of Ian Curtis and his time in Joy Division. It will be out for general release in a month or so. Be sure to check it out if you are a fan, or become a fan of their music!

Filmarazzi with the Puckarazzi
4-7 pm every Thursday on the VBC