August 13, 2007 | by  | in News | [ssba]

Library realises noisy people are fucking annoying

The library will introduce a ‘noise management’ initiative in response to feedback relating to noise in designated quiet study areas.

A press release from the library says “noise is always a contentious issue in libraries and is a challenge to manage particularly given different expectations.”

The initiative includes positive reinforcement by library staff with noise patrols to monitor and address noise levels in quiet zones.

In 2008, zoning for different spaces and different needs will be introduced, modelled on libraries internationally, and reflecting how the library wants to move forward as part of the Campus Hub Redevelopment.

The library is seeking feedback for future developments at www.vuw.ac.nz/library/forms/feedback.aspx

Library users are also encouraged to report any concerns over noise immediately to Library staff.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.

1. Michael M says:

Hi,

I am so glad that the library is introducing this! There is way too much noise in the Kelburn library. I wish the Kelburn library was more like the Law library. Having a noisy library makes me feel like I go to a below average university. I have no idea what ‘elite’ univerity libraries are like, but I imagine they are very quiet and people actually do work.

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. Henry Jane Windsor says:

Good move. Now I wish that they would do the same with Wellington City Libraries.