August 6, 2007 | by  | in News | [ssba]

Organic, biodegradable Environment Week a success – Organisers

Campus environmental group Gecko celebrated Environmental Week last week with a number of popular events, including a climate change debate, clothes swap and concert.

Tree-planting took place on Saturday, July 28, before the week officially began on Monday with an address by Dr Jan Wright, Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment.

A clothes swap was held on Tuesday, with Gecko raising $80 from selling pre-loved clothes. On Wednesday, 20 people cycled to Vic for a free organic breakfast, despite the rain. An organic lentil barbecue fundraiser was also during lunchtime.

On Thursday a debate on climate change with members of Act on Campus, Young Greens, Young Labour and the Young Nats took place at Vic. It was followed at night-time by a free movie night.

An address from the Ministry for the Environment, and a fundraiser gig were also planned for Friday.

VUWSA Environmental Officer Tushara Kodikara says the week was “really successful”.

“All the events had people turn up and involve themselves, even Tuesday morning for the Bike to Breakfast Day when it was raining about 20 people turned up.”

“[The debate] was really good. It was good to see all the young political groups getting involved and expressing their opinions.”

Kodikara says also that all the food was organic and all other events involved biodegradable and environmentally-friendly materials.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.