August 6, 2007 | by  | in News | [ssba]

Students to show off their boxes to protest living costs

The Quad will be transformed into a box city this Wednesday, to protest the rising cost of living.

The aim of the event, run by the Education Action Group, is to increase awareness about student hardship, show concern about rising accommodation costs, and to advocate for universal student allowances.

Students are invited to make their own affordable box bedroom in the Quad, with building beginning at midday and continuing into the night. Some students are intending to stay the night in their box bedrooms.

VUWSA Clubs Officer Melissa Barnard is rumoured to be creating a 10-box castle, including a panic room, for the occasion.

Prizes, including food vouchers, will be given for biggest box, most interesting box and most sustainable box. Food will be provided from VUWSA at times listed below, and The VBC will be DJing.

11am Soup
12pm BBQ and start building
3:30pm Prize giveaways
4pm More soup
Teatime More food

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.