February 18, 2008 | by  | in Music | [ssba]

The VBC 88.3FM First Birthday Party

The VBC 88.3FM is Wellington’s Student and Community Radio Station, based right here at Victoria University of Wellington. Broadcasting to Wellington City on 88.3FM, The VBC also streams over the internet at www.vbc.org.nz

After fourteen years without a student radio station, life on the wireless at Victoria University returned in 2007 with the establishment of the Victoria Broadcasting Club, or VBC. With the help of grants from Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh and the VUWSA Trust, Programme Directors Kristen Patterson and Matthew Davis and Business Director Doug Tereu have built the station from scratch in the musty Student Union Building where Salient used to lurk. The door is hidden behind some recycling bins.

The VBC celebrate their first birthday this Orientation, with a matinee party on the 8th of March at The Adelaide Pub on Adelaide Road in Newtown, from 3-7pm featuring Tank Black, The Wrongdoings, The Windups, Knifefight and VBC DJs. The whole show will be broadcast live to air.

This will be followed by a Secret show at a Secret location. A super secret birthday extravaganza, as it were. Check out www.vbc.org.nz on Wednesday March the 5th when they announce location and lineup details! It’ll be sure to be a blast… Even later on that night…. Stroll down to The San Francisco Bathhouse for an extra special installment of the usual 1-6am post-party San Fran DJ madness, with guest VBC DJs to guide you in to the early morning.

A Guide to the VBC’s Shows, eh

Breakfast Weekdays, 7-10 am
With Murdoch Stevens and the News Monkeys. Murdoch wakes up at the crack of dawn to host a show which he describes as being about “nothing in particular. It’s just waking up in the morning.” His show features a group of News Monkeys to “get fruit from the trees of truth.”

Drive Weekdays 4-7 pm
Different features every day:
Monday: Demostation. Send in yer home recordings.
Tuesday: Top Ten. Vote for yer most adored tunes.
Wednesday: Filmanazzi. Keeping you up-to-date with the celluloid world.

Saturday Whimsy 2-6pm
Arts and Culture show.

Bulletin Hour Weekdays, 12-1.10 pm
News from around the world and university

Podcasting coming soon from www.vbc.org.nz
The VBC also run a weekly street-pres gig guide, The Bandwagon.

If you’d like to get involved with The VBC, drop in to:
The VBC 88.3FM
Office 118, Ground Floor
Student Union Building
Kelburn Campus
Victoria University of Wellington

Or you can get in touch at:
The VBC 88.3FM
PO Box 600
Kelburn
Wellington
Office: (04) 463 9994
On Air Phone: (04) 463 6072

Information/Join The Club: thevbc@vbc.org.nz
Shows, Interviews and Content: programming@vbc.org.nz
Events: bookings@vbc.org.nz
Website: www.vbc.org.nz