April 28, 2008 | by  | in Opinion | [ssba]

Bebo to The Rescue

It’s 3:30am on a Sunday morning. Your predatory eyes scan the club for the lucky person you will charm into your bed. You’re not the type to score randoms — you’re looking for someone you know. By the bar you spot the perfect target. You approach them with your winning opening line, “don’t I know you? Yeah I definitely do. I’ve seen your Bebo”…

Who needs Cupid when you’ve got Bebo?

But Bebo is more than a dating service; it has revolutionized communication. It’s great for times when what we have to say isn’t worthy of face to face conversation or the effort of texting, such as “hey how are you?” or the essential, “Boo… you’re a [insert insult]”. It’s useful when you have sent someone ‘private mail’ too — you can comment on their Bebo, “I’ve sent you some PM, Hun”, just to make sure they (and everyone else) know.

We have always secretly rated our friends — now it doesn’t have to be so secret. Everyone knows where they stand thanks to the Top 16 and Bebo-luv. It’s ideal for finding out who your true friends are. The realm of Bebo has also given us a new way to get a sense of identity. We can show what we’re into by joining appreciation societies, or share experiences in groups like www.bebo.com/selfrape.

Bebo is an outlet for showing how cool, fun and popular you are. All those portfolio photos you have taken and pictures from drunken escapades get to shine. Even depressed or unfortunate looking people can recreate themselves on Bebo. It’s all about projecting self betterment.

Filing through these ‘glammed-up’ profiles, aka Bebostalking, is an art form that serves many purposes. What better way to put off an assignment than catch up on gossip, research that random we scored in town, or find the vices and criticize the outfits of our arch enemies?

Bebo is such an important cog in society now it’s hard to imagine life without it. Even face to face conversations are dominated by Bebo, and communication would break down without this hero. Don’t be left with nothing to say. Blog Early, Blog Often.