April 28, 2008 | by  | in Music | [ssba]

Over the Atlantic with Little Pictures: Live Review

Room 101 Bodega, Friday April 11th

It’s a real shame to see Over the Atlantic go, ah…over the Pacific, to the States. These guys have been a lot of fun to have around in the last couple of years, and many a shoegazer fiend in Wellington will no doubt be feeling rather put out right now. They did manage to leave on an especially good note, though, playing a fairly intimate, comfy gig at Bodega’s Room 101.

Openers Little Pictures were, as usual, great, pitching their warm pop melodies at the visibly infatuated small crowd. The duo’s use of keys and drum samples in creating pretty, hushed pop is really something, and the bubble-blowing towards the end of the set was the icing on the cake. Any longer a set, though, and their tunes might have gotten a little too samey. There’s not too much variation here, but they’ve hit on a damn nice formula anyway.

Over the Atlantic wasted no time giving us what we wanted, immediately busting out solid drumming, thick guitar effects and slick bass work. The mix was a little bass-heavy, but playing such a small venue is always going to be tricky soundwise. Given that this was the new bass player’s first gig, there were a few slight missteps and bruised notes, but all in all he did bloody well.

OtA played a fairly long set, with some lengthy instrumental sections which gave the drummer the opportunity to build up pace and tension, then release it into bursts of cymbal noise. ‘Kevin Shields’ and ‘Starsign’ were highlights as always.

And then, Nik bid us farewell; “this is our last song, then we go to L.A.” Farewell, guys, and good luck.