April 28, 2008 | by  | in News | [ssba]

Student debt march goes down

At 1pm on April 10, student politicians and protestors alike amassed in the Quad, enraged at the fact that student debt had finally reached $10 billion. The gaggle marched down to parliament, gathering impressionable first years from Vic House along the way. In a great example of Wellington student unity protestors from Massey, joined the march on Lambton Quay. VUWSA campaigns officer Sonny Thomas was “pleased to see such a good turn out. They [the protesters] were loud and very fun.”

Singing catchy protest tunes such as “this is the debt that never ends, yes it goes on an on my friends [ad nausem]” the group round on parliament and camped out on the lawn, where they were met by long time student debt sympathisers Dail Jones (NZ First) and Metiria Turei (Greens). Controversy arose when President Joel Cosgrove refused them speaking rights, stating the protest was “not about the politicians”.

Thomas said: “I was disappointed that Metiria and Dale were turned away… I would hope that any protest would have an effect on politicians.”

Conrad is a very grumpy boy. When he was little he had a curl in the middle of his forehead. When he was good, he was moderately good, but when he was mean he was HORRID. He likes guns, bombs and shooting doves. He can often be found reading books about Mussolini and tank warfare. His greatest dream is to invent an eighteen foot high mechanical spider, which has an antimatter lazer attached to its back.