April 28, 2008 | by  | in News | [ssba]

Vic Students win Uni Games

Victoria University has taken away the top honour at this year’s University Games, the first time the team has triumphed in the tournament away from home.

While official results were unavailable at the time of print, VUWSA President Joel Cosgrove says the Victoria team beat secondplace winners Canterbury University by a comfortable margin.

“There were a number of good results on the last day that really pushed us ahead,” Cosgrove said.

“The win is a real testament to the students and the organizers.”

Team manager Brent Hayward said the win was a “massive achievement” for Victoria, who “performed outstandingly as a whole.” “We were the underdogs… Auckland University and Auckland University of Technology (AUT) had the home advantage being two hours away. Auckland University has 40,000 students, while AUT is has the reputation of being a sporting institution.”

Victoria was victorious in both mens and womens volleyball, men’s football, and men’s basketball (where we not only beat all NZ teams but also Australian Unigames champs Monash). We were first in debating, continuing an unbroken decadelong run as easters champs.