Massey scraps ‘grandparenting’ of international fees, Vic dislikes granny too

As Massey University decides to discontinue the practice of fixing international tuition fees, the introduction of “grandparenting” fees for international students at Victoria appears unlikely with a recent Council report describing the scheme’s potential restoration as “imprudent”.

Under the system of grandparenting, international students pay a fixed tuition fee during their degree that is exempt from annual fee increases, with the intent of providing financial stability for international students while studying.

However, Massey University recently announced that they would cease grandparenting, saying: “There has been no evidence that it has [attracted international students] or provided any financial benefit to the students”.

A report from Victoria’s Pro Vice-Chancellor (International) Rob Rabel, presented at the University Council’s 30 June meeting was also critical of the grandparenting of fees.

The report, requested by the Council during the setting of international fees in April, stated that grandparenting would add “further complexity, cost and workload to our central administrative systems,” given what Rabel said was “inadequate public funding” for the University.

In addition, the University’s current practice of attempting to keep international fee increases within a nil to five per cent band annually was seen as “giving students almost as much certainty” about their tuition fees as under grandparenting, decreasing its benefits.

Tuition fees for Victoria’s international students will increase by two per cent in 2009, while new Massey international students will face a six to seven per cent increase.