April 6, 2009 | by  | in Film | [ssba]

Confessions of a Shopaholic

This movie was made for me. In fact, it may have been about me. Because I am a fickle journalist who cares more about buying new Gucci shoes than paying her credit card bill or writing about plants.

Isla Fisher stars as Rebecca Bloomwood in a (somewhat romantic) comedy about shopping, debt, a dream job and romance—but mostly shopping.

And oh, the things she buys! A ruffled purple dress from Barneys, red Gucci boots (on sale), a disappointingly-faux cashmere coat, and an infamous green scarf.

There was a lesson to be learned from the movie; namely, we’re in a recession, stop buying Marc Jacobs underwear! I’m not sure I so much learned a lesson, though, as was inspired by Rebecca’s success in writing about a recessionista lifestyle for a shitty financial publication while falling for a dreamboat with amazing cheekbones (Hugh Dancy) on her quest to becoming a fashion magazine writer.

More important than the lesson was the clothes. Oh the clothes. I nearly dropped my popcorn when a pair of Louboutin boots walked onto the screen. Some of the stuff Rebecca wore was a bit bat-shit insane, and looked like she’d hacked up her great-aunt’s couch to make a bolero—but, like the movie itself, it was all very fabulous.

Directed by P J Hogan
Written by Tracey Jackson, Tim Firth and Kayla Alpert
With Isla Fisher, Hugh Dancy, Krysten Ritter, Joan Cusack, John Goodman and John Lithgow.

With her take-no-prisoners, kick-ass attitude, former News Editor Laura McQuillan adequately makes up for her lack of stature. Roaming the corridors (and underground tunnels) of the University by day, and hunting vampires and Nazi war criminals by night, McQuillan will stop at nothing to bring you the freshest news.