May 18, 2009 | by  | in News | [ssba]

NZUSA blows into town, tumbleweed moseys on by

Talk of recessions, budgets, and tiny student allowances dominated last Wednesday’s sparsely attended Student Representative Council meeting, which played host to the co-presidents from the New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations (NZUSA), Sophia Blair and Jordan King.

The NZUSA, as the representative body of student associations nationwide, is responsible for coordinating the voice of student representation. NZUSA also provides credible access to politicians, which according to Blair is what the group intend to focus on in the lead up to the release of the next government budget.

King addressed the NZUSA’s concerns about the upcoming budget, expressing concern that it will contain a cut to the indexing system for Student Loans and Allowances.

“This is effectively a cut to the already pitiful levels students receive,” King said.

The recession is another aspect which NZUSA has concerns about, as students struggle to find employment while they study. Blair spoke of the difficulty students are having, saying that employers were statistically less likely to employe students in the stormy economic climate.

King said more funding for tertiary education is essential. “When the economy kick-starts, we will have a better quality and skilled workforce,” he said.

Funding increases would also ensure enrolment capping does not become prevalent. Blair said the use of capping was a way for universities to keep operation costs low, by restricting student numbers. “This serves to undermine the quality of education our country has,” she said.

The co-presidents outlined the NZUSA plan for future student advocacy, which involved intense follow up on the three major financial concerns.

1. Batman says:

Jordan King sounds hot.

2. Robin says:

Hands off! He’s already my Boyfriend Batman.