May 11, 2009 | by  | in News | [ssba]

Vic swine flu plan activated

While the rest of the world gets in a panic about swine flu, Victoria University of Wellington is keeping a cool head with its very own pandemic plan.

The plan, which has been in place since 2006, has already been activated and implemented across campus. “We are closely following the directives set out as to what to do in any particular phase,” said Ruth Moorhouse, Director of Student Services.

Pandemic plans for the Halls of Residence have also been activated through the Accommodation Service. Victoria University is operating according to Ministry of Health guidelines, which state that New Zealand is currently in a Code Yellow phase, a standby stage indicating significant development overseas or isolated cases within the country.

There are no confirmed cases of swine flu at Victoria or in the wider Wellington Region, according to Wellington Regional Public Health. Student Health staff have updated their pandemic protocols in the case of an outbreak.

Student Services will persist in monitoring the situation and regularly updating students and staff through the myVictoria portal and VicNews. “We will continue to follow the advice of the Ministry of Health, in conjunction with our own pandemic plan,” said Moorhouse.

In the meantime, students who have travelled to Mexico in the past seven days should call Healthline on 0800 611 116, while students and staff alike are advised to use a bit of common sense and follow basic hygiene practices.