May 10, 2010 | by  | in Theatre | [ssba]

Simon McKinney— My Time as a Talking Fish

Simon McKinney does funny voices and he’s damned good at them. His opening bit about a German not understanding the bucket fountain and a weirdo named Reg were wonderful. That’s a full twenty minutes of good times.

It might interest you know that he was a fish on Kiwi children’s television show Squirt. No guys, he wasn’t Gordon “the dick one”, he was that replacement hippy fish. McKinney was often hungover when recording for the show. Armed with this knowledge you now have the second twenty minutes of the show. It was informative but not very funny.

The other ten or so minutes were competent bridge work between various anecdotes and voices. I must say that the man is very watchable and that in the moment watching him mump about didn’t seem like time wasted.

All in all, I hope that he gets a lot of face time if a documentary about Kiwi children’s television is ever made, and the show was okay.

Simon McKinney—My Time as a Talking Fish
The Garden Club
27 April – 1 May 2010

Nic Sando is a god amongst men, fifteen fathoms high he be, with strange and wyrd powers at his disposal. Only a fool won't harken his ears to the east when he hears The Sando man stumping his way. http://thesando.com