Council Pulls the Plug on City-wide Booze Ban

News

Newtown and Mt Cook forced to sober up

Wellington Mayor Kerry Prendergast may not have been able to implement her city-wide booze ban, but she has been successful in extending the liquor-free zone.

Currently there is a liquor ban in Wellington’s CBD area, Aro Valley and the Mt Victoria lookout.

A council committee recently voted to extend this area to include Mt Cook and Newtown, but not to cover the entire city.

The council had formerly proposed a city-wide ban that could have seen members of the public arrested for enjoying wine with a picnic.

The council received 604 written submissions in regards to the proposal, with 76 per cent in opposition to the city-wide ban.

Prendergast was a strong supporter of the city-wide ban.

“This is a gut call, and we have to show a bit of courage and do what’s right for the community.”

Victoria University student and Newtown resident Claudia Ducrot, who will be affected by the changes, had mixed feelings.

“It is a good idea in terms of curbing this drinking culture that has manifested in New Zealand over the recent years, but I’m a student and I want to enjoy it while I can.”