Victoria Kicks Aff at Debating Champs

News

Victoria University won the 2010 Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championships (Australs) earlier this month, marking the university’s first win since 1998.

The team defeated Auckland University in the Grand Final by successfully arguing that ‘crimes against the earth are analogous to crimes against humanity’.

Australs is the second largest university debating tournament in the world. This year it was hosted by Auckland University and comprised of 100 teams from the Asia-Pacific region.

Victoria is the only New Zealand university to have ever won the tournament. 2010 marks the university’s fourth win since 1975, with a Victoria team debating in the Grand Finals for three out of the last four years.

Acting Vice-Chancellor Neil Quigley was extremely pleased with the outcome of the prestigious international debating competition.

“We are delighted with the news and congratulate the team on their success in this world-class competition.”

The winning team was comprised of students Stephen Whittington, Udayan Mukherjee and Ella Edginton.

Stephen Whittington (Captain) was named as the second best speaker in the tournament and won the Jock Fanselow Cup for Best Speaker in the Grand Final.

Victoria’s top team knocked out the university’s second team in the semi-finals. Captain Seb Templeton was named as the tournament’s seventh equal best speaker.

1. xenoplexy says:

Great stuff! Go Vic!!