Minor Problem, Major mess

Victoria University is refusing to show minors on students’ degrees, claiming it looks “too cluttered.”

Minors have recently been formally introduced to undergraduate degrees at Victoria. This required the Academic Board to decide how these would be presented.

“A number of factors influenced the decision to not include minors on degree certificates including that in fact minors will be listed on transcripts and they are not a necessary component to a degree,” says Professor David Crabbe, Assistant Vice Chancellor (Academic).
“No other New Zealand university currently records minors on degree certificates and there is a risk that certificates would become cluttered if we did.”

This decision on “clutter” was made using a degree exemplar which included three major subjects and two minor subjects.
Currently students who wish to prove they have completed a minor they are required to obtain a degree transcript at a cost of $20. It has not yet been decided if this cost will still be incurred now minors have been formally introduced.

“The matter of charging for initial transcripts is an issue that will be considered as part of a wider review of transcript policy and procedures,” says Professor Crabbe.

This decision is likely to affect many of the university’s current students who are studying towards the completion of minors.
Education Vice-President Bridie Hood says VUWSA will pursue this issue.
“Free transcripts are something VUWSA has been fighting for for a really long time.”
From 2011, students are allowed to select up to two minors in their Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Commerce and Administration degrees.

A minor comprises at least 60 points from the major requirements at 200 level or above, with at least 15 points at 300 level.

1. Jared says:

Unbelievable.
    I have worked my arse off to have a “cluttered” degree.