February 27, 2012 | by  | in Features News | [ssba]

Campus Survival Guide: Te Aro Terror

One does not simply walk into the School of Architecture and Design. The degrees are long; the deadlines large and soon and scary. To cope, you’ll need to work consistently and develop the blasé world view of a creative. Both will require a heavy investment in the campus “scene”.

This will be your job for the next four to five years, so show up to work. Upon arrival, ditch the tumblr and make some real friends. You’ll be working, drinking, sleeping, and not-sleeping with your classmates for the foreseeable future; best begin promptly.

Heads up: coloured garments and the act of sleep are largely shunned. That said, wearing monochrome will be overlooked on Fridays and napping in the common room is tolerated. Sleeping in the roof cavities is not. Such trespasses are ill-advised unless you can sufficiently rationalise the relevance of this event to architectural discourse.

Occasionally you may require sustenance. The nearby CQ Cafe supplies uninspiring java and grub, but their generous student discount will ensure that you—like your Most Played—will succumb to the harsh realities of financial incentives and so descend into mediocrity. Alternately, both Milk Crate or Customs Brew Bar will provide more authentic experiences, while Midnight Espresso will ensure you are always up for insomnia. If your jittering hands need to play nice with 0.3mm leads, green tea offers a more sustainable form of caffeination.

For when you’ve forgotten the question, but know that alcohol is the answer, the Havana Bar combines an oh-so- relevant drinks menu with immediate accessibility. In addition, public lectures offer a regular source of complimentary wine.

Finally, while you may think your project is more relevant if it remains obscure, regularly showing it to tutors and classmates is the only way to ensure the critical appeal you crave. Suck it up, it’s a thing.